Barmera, South Australia
Barmera is located 2.5 hours north east of Adelaide and 2 hours from Mildura. Enjoying a Mediterranean style climate, the area receives more sunshine than Queensland.
The centre of the Riverland region, Barmera is a thriving town overlooking South Australia's favouite aquatic playground, beautiful Lake Bonney.
- Barmera Golf Course: a fabulous par 72 course of 6110 metres set amongst undulating greens. There are 5 courses situated within a 45 minute drive, making Barmera the ideal base for a golfing holiday.
- Rocky's Hall of Fame Pioneer Museum: For the country music lover, a visit here to view the memorabilia is a must.
- SA's largest country music festival is also held in Barmera during June.
- Blue Bird Cafe: now a cafe but previously the boat shed for Sir Donald Campbell's Bluebird.
- Backyard Bread
- Barmera Main Street Markets (held monthly Feb - June and Oct - December)
- Cobdogla Irrigation and Steam Museum
- Overland Corner Hotel
- Nappers Ruins
- Various wineries including Banrock Station, Basshams, 919 Wines, Berri Estates,Kingston Estate
- Bella Lavender Estate
- Loxton Historical Village
- Monash Playground
- Loch Luna Cruises
- Rustons Rose Garden
- Illalangi Fine Foods and Wine
- Riverland Food and Wine Festival
- Renmark Rose Festival
- Barmera Sheep dog trials
- Barmera Murray Man Triathlon
- Riverland Field days
Sample Barmera Itinerary
Enjoy the waters of Lake Bonney
Lake Bonney is a fresh water lake that is fed by the River Murray via Chambers Creek. Ideal for all watersports including sailing, kayaking, skiing, wind surfing, swimming, boating and fishing. The foreshore also has a new boat ramp, jetty, bbq facilities, shelters and fantastic play ground areas. You can even partake in guided canoe trips in the vicinity (including beautiful sunset tours ) with Canoe Adventures
Visit Banrock Station Wine and Wetland Centre
Sip a wine while relaxing on the deck and enjoy a sumptious platter. Take a scenic walk, discover the wetlands and bird hides and taste the new wine varieties. For the freshest fruit and vegetables around, stop at one of the local stalls that are located throughout the region.
Cobdogla Steam Museum
Visit the Cobdogla Steam Museum and if you are lucky, the steam train may even take you for a ride!
Historic Overland Corner Hotel
Enjoy lunch at the Historic Overland Corner Hotel, a casual 15 minute drive away. Dine outdoors under the shady trees and then explore the National Trust building. Open for lunch: Tuesday - Sunday from 12.00pm and for Dinner: Thursday, Friday and Saturday 6 - 8pm.